Queen Elizabeth II reportedly isn’t going to stand by and let falsehoods circulate about whether she gave Meghan Markle and Prince Harry her blessing to name their new baby after her, The Sun reports.
Last week, Meghan and Harry announced the birth of their second baby, whose first name is the Queen’s pet name within the inner circle of the Windsor clan, and whose middle name pays homage to the duke’s late mother.
Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor was born on June 4.
There have been conflicting reports over whether the Queen granted her formal permission for Meghan and Harry to name their baby after her. Things have gotten so bad on this front that the duke has flat-out threatened to sue the BBC over its claims that he and his wife went right ahead and named the child Lilibet without even consulting his grandmother.
US-based journalists reported that Harry had “asked permission” to use the name, with Page Six claiming unnamed sources “told” them the duke called the Queen. But a Palace source disputed the reports to the BBC and claimed the Queen, 95, was not asked by the Sussexes about naming their daughter Lilibet.
Another report indicated that Meghan and Harry introduced the baby to her namesake, the Queen, over a video call.
But now an inside source has told the Mail on Sunday that “no video call has taken place,” the Mirror reports.
Referring to Meghan and Harry, who are also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, the source said of the kerfuffle over the baby name, “Friends of the Sussexes appear to have given misleading briefings to journalists about what the Queen had said and that took the whole thing over the edge. The Palace couldn’t deny the story that this was a mistruth.”
Now it’s been reported that the Queen has ordered her staff to correct all of the faulty press reports regarding how she learned of Meghan and Harry’s plans to name their baby girl after her.
In a dramatic departure from the established “never complain, never explain” policy the 95-year-old is said to have been “sent over the edge” by recent briefings by friends of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to favoured US journalists.
“This is about whether or not what is being reported is an accurate version of what actually happened,” a source indicated about how the Queen plans to handle further false reports about her handling of Meghan’s choice to name her and Harry’s baby after the monarch.
The Mail on Sunday’s new reporting indicates that not only was the Queen not consulted about the baby name, but she was utterly shocked to learn about Meghan and Harry’s choice to run off with the name Lilibet.
A senior Buckingham Palace aide has contradicted Harry and Meghan’s claim that they consulted the Queen about selecting the name. This conversation, the aide said, was “a telling, not an asking.”
Express reports that the Queen’s hands were tied. If she refused to allow Meghan and Harry to name their baby after her, she risked their wrath and the horror of future interviews in which the Sussexes would further excoriate the members of the House of Windsor.
Royal commentator Ian Lloyd has claimed the Queen would have allowed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to use the name in an effort to build bridges with the couple.
In an interview about the baby naming imbroglio and the delicate balance the Queen has been forced to strike with her grandson and grand-daughter-in-law, Lloyd said, “One of the things that Harry and Meghan could have done was call the baby Elizabeth Diana and announce that she would be called Lili. That wouldn’t have been in any way controversial.”
He added: “It’s pretty odd considering they supposedly like the fact of a private life and they want their children to grow up away from the strains of the monarchy, to name them after two of the most famous royals in the world.”
Then Lloyd said: “I doubt very much if the Queen didn’t approve she would say anything because they’re trying to build bridges with the Sussexes.”
The Daily Star reports that the Queen is flat-out “exasperated” with Meghan and Harry.
The Queen will stop being silent when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle allow “mistruths” about The Firm to circulate in the public domain, it is claimed.
Continue Reading >>> Source link